Thursday, April 22, 2010

Watching hockey with the neighbours









One of the advantages of living next to an alley is I’m able to watch the hockey game on mute. I hate to admit it but I’m one of those people who watch TV and multi-task. I’m an ambitious single man but I need to be entertained. I also feel obligated at cheer for the Canucks with my entire being until they’re knocked out of the playoffs.



I can never remember when the game is on. I could have swore it was tonight but one cheer from the surrounding balconies told me I was wrong. Since it was the first peep I had heard from my neighbours I could tell it was a big goal.





The game was tied one all when I turned on the TV. Not two minutes later the Kings scored on a power play. Curse the Kings and their power plays!p>



It’s hard not to give up hope when the other team keeps on pounding away at yours and their fans are lapping it up. I started cursing the Canucks for making us look like fools, for caving under the pressure.





The one thing I’ve come away with from the Olympics is to learn how to believe in the home team.
After the Canadians lost to the Americans I was one of the few people in my circle of friends who chalked the game up to experience.





Instead of cursing the Canucks I tried to channel every positive thought in my being at them. Not long after the Canucks killed a power play and scored a goal and I felt like I had done it.

Then LA came back and scored another goal and again, I was disheartened but not defeated. It was unbearable to watch however.





There was some work I needed to do so I muted the TV during the third period, opened the windows and didn’t look up until I could hear my neighbours from the surrounding open windows, balcony doors and restaurant patios.





I looked up from my laptop every time there was an ooh an ahh or an oh-oh-oh. I didn’t miss a goal.





I didn’t realize what a uniting force professional sports are until I lived in San Francisco and became a Giants fan. My proximity to my neighbours has only enhanced the experience. Even when I’m watching the game alone in my apartment, it still feels like I’m in a bar or a living room surrounded by people.





Case of the blind leading the blind: "Rogue" Vancouver police officer fired, charged with dealing drugs, break and enter



Yeah right: No politics at play in scrapping HIV vaccine centre: Butler-Jones





I'll pass thanks: Scenes from the Army & Navy Shoe Sale



If you don't play the game you can't make the rules: Religious groups fight changes to Ontario sex ed curriculum

No comments:

Post a Comment