Tuesday, April 20, 2010

High School Musical



“Would you be into seeing a high school musical?” my friend asked.

“No.”

“Let me rephrase that. Would like to see a high school production of Urinetown the Musical?”

“Yes. You’re sure you’re not imagining this?”

“Yes. How did you even hear about this?”

“My hipster-mom friend from teaching school co-directed the production for Lord Byng Secondary School.”

“You’re sure you’re not imagining this?”

He was sure.



I wasn’t sure if I was dumbfounded or jealous. As a theatre person in high school and the president of the Arts Council, I had performed in The Wizard of OZ and Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap. A black Wicked Witch of the West was the closest to edgy as we got.

I remember how jealous I was when my niece told me her high school was doing Cats.

Cats! That was the first play I saw on Broadway! I skipped school to see a matinee of the Toronto production. I saw it three times and I worked at McDonald’s at the time.

She had not only aged me, she was stealing my part!

Now the play annoys me.

I just couldn’t believe that the Lord Byron drama club was able to put it past the teachers and the school board. I have no idea what kind of school Lord Byng is but my impression of parents these days is they get embarrassed about the smallest thing (see wardrobe malfunction).

The school website describes the play as a social satire that challenges the audience’s expectations. The movies don’t even do that anymore. I figured just the words social and satire would be enough to set off alarm bells. call the Minister of Education!

Due to scheduling conflicts my friend and I can’t see the play together but I’m going to try and get to it. If for no other reason than to see what a high school production of play looks like these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment